Step 1: Free up space
Although you’re using an external storage device, your hard drive still requires space to install the update. Here’s how to make some:
- In More space needed for update, select Free up space.
- This opens Storage in Settings, which shows how much space is available on your device. Select your C: drive to see what’s using the most space and to clear it by deleting nonessential files. (For tips, see Free up drive space in Windows 10).
- Return to More space needed for update and select the refresh icon next to the Free up space button. If you deleted enough files, a green check mark will appear next to the hard drive
Step 2: Connect an external storage device
- Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list under Step 2 (you might need to select the refresh icon). If the external storage device has enough free space, a green check mark will appear next to the storage drive icon.
- Select Continue to finish installing the update.